When it comes to technical or software related-projects, businesses and companies usually opt for strategies such as IT outsourcing or IT consulting. These techniques allow the firm to save time, cost, and resources while simultaneously having an expert work on their project. This article will allow you to understand better the advantages of IT outsourcing vs IT consulting.
The main difference between consulting and outsourcing is that consulting involves referring to a consultancy firm seeking advice and guidance; while outsourcing is where an external party is hired to carry out and complete the entire project or task. In this article, we’ll cover the basics of IT staff augmentation vs IT consulting services.
What is IT Outsourcing?
IT outsourcing is the practice of hiring third-party technical service providers to manage the technical needs of a firm. Organizations use IT outsourcing to access a wide range of services, including software development, system maintenance, application hosting, web hosting, data management, IT infrastructure solutions, and help desk services. Contract-based outsourcing is a common practice for startups and companies that want to grow without taking on the cost of hiring full-time employees.
What is IT Consulting?
IT consulting involves having an external party provide valuable insight, advice, and guidance to organizations on how to best use technology to meet their business objectives. IT consultants typically provide advice on topics such as system design, implementation, and security.
Pros and Cons of IT Consulting vs IT Outsourcing
Pros of IT Consulting
- Access to Expertise: IT consultants are specialized experts capable of identifying and analyzing critical areas for improvement.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Opting for IT consulting means having an expert on call at all times, without having to hire and maintain a full-time IT team.
- IT and Cyber Security: IT consultants specialize in network and cyber security. They provide technological strategies that help boost the overall tech security of the firm.
- Time-Saving: IT consulting can save businesses time by allowing them to focus on their core business activities while their IT needs are taken care of by an expert.
Cons Of IT Consulting
- Costly for Low-Budget Businesses: Although opting to hire an IT consultant doesn’t cost as much as hiring and maintaining full-time IT experts, they can prove costly, especially to firms that have a low budget.
- Quality Assurance: The quality of IT consulting services can vary, and it can be challenging to find a reliable provider. Consultants from a reliable and authentic IT consulting firm can charge a high hourly fee.
- Security Risk Factor: It's crucial to confirm that the IT consultant you are hiring has a proven track record. This can be done by going through the consultant's client references, portfolio, and testimonials. Hiring a consultant who isn't credible can threaten the safety of your company's data and intellectual property.
Pros of IT Outsourcing
- Cost Effective: Outsourcing for technical and software solutions helps the firm to cut down on expenses such as hiring a full-time professional. Outsourcing developers and IT professionals do not have to be compensated with benefits such as healthcare insurance, unemployment benefits, etc. Instead, you can offer them remote work tools and local perk programs.
- Increased Productivity: Outsourcing for IT services can help improve the efficiency of operations by allowing staff to focus on core business functions.
- Access to Specialized Skills: Outsourcing IT services can help you access skilled professionals with specialized knowledge in specific areas. For each particular task, an individual who is an expert in the field can be hired. Because IT outsourcing gives you the chance to hire remote developers, you can access a larger hiring pool and find a greater variety of experts.
- Scalability: The key advantage of outsourcing for projects or tasks is that you can hire an expert as per your need. Whether it's for additional staffing during the holiday season, or to seek a highly specialized expert for a complicated matter, scalability comes hand in hand with outsourcing.
Cons of IT Outsourcing
- Loss of Control: Outsourcing usually means having external service providers gain access to your company's data and even intellectual property. This may create a sense of loss of control.
- Communication issues: Language and cultural differences can create communication issues. However, this can be tackled by opting for nearshore outsourcing.
- Quality issues: Quality control can become an issue when outsourcing IT services. The task or project outcome may not be exactly what you wanted, and collaborating with the external vendor to create the perfect outcome can be a challenge.
- Data Security Risks: Outsourcing IT services can create data security risks as external vendors gain access to corporate data. This issue can be tackled by having the outsourced professional sign a formal and legal Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
Why Choose IT Outsourcing Over IT Consulting?
There are several advantages of IT outsourcing that outweigh the advantages of IT consulting and that make it a traditional IT recruitment alternative as well. Most importantly, IT outsourcing is typically more cost-effective than IT consulting. This is because IT staff augmentation providers can leverage economies of scale to provide services at a lower cost. These agencies provide access to nearshore and offshore experts, allowing organizations to tap into the global talent pool.
The key difference between IT services and IT consulting is that when you opt for outsourcing IT services, you hire someone to complete your project for you. Whereas if you hire an IT consultant, you will get vital insight and guidance but you will have to outsource an expert to complete the project. This strategy also allows you to tackle IT staff augmentation as you can outsource experts who specialize in the right field.
Blue Coding - The Ultimate IT Outsourcing Solutions and Services Provider
When you opt for Blue Coding, you can leave behind concerns regarding hiring additional consultants. Our highly skilled and experienced developers and solution providers are capable of analyzing and solving technical issues. If you are planning on nearshore outsourcing for your IT project, we recommend outsourcing Latin American developers. Nearshore outsourcing allows you to collaborate with experts who are in a similar time zone as this allows seamless communication and boosts work efficiency. Contact us today to learn more about our IT outsourcing services!